Wednesday 6 November 2013

Family

November 6, 2013
Today I am thinking about my family and the losses we have had over the past couple of years.  It breaks my heart to think of those that are no longer here in the physical world and those that I cannot be with because of distance and finances.

When I think back on my childhood, I have such great memories of growing up.  Our home was a mixture of love and hate, laughter and tears, good times and bad.  Pretty much like most families.
Even when things were tight, there was always room for a friend at the kitchen table.  Our house always had other kids playing in the yard.  In the summer there was always freezies or ice cream to share.  It was a place that everyone was comfortable at.

Our Mom was never the calm, quiet type.  If she was mad, you knew it.  She would blow up at us, yell when pushed, spank when really pushed and cry when really, really pushed; but through it all we always knew that she loved us.  We were never spoiled with things, but we never left the house without a kiss, never went to bed without being told that we were loved.  Many times she went without, so that we didn't have to.  Meals were never gourmet, but they were good, wholesome and there was always something that we liked on the table.  Life was far from perfect, but whose is?

Dad was the kind of man that could talk to anyone, he never judged and always reminded us to "walk a mile in their shoes".  Dad grew up on a reserve in Ontario, he was part first-nations people and I don't think he ever forgot what it was like to be looked at in a negative way.  He always teased and poked fun at you, but never was it ever serious.  He just wanted to make you smile.  Many children that he knew; whether a neice, nephew or friend's child recieved a pet name when they were small.  Even after they were all grown up and had kids of their own, he still referred to them by their "special" name.  Our Mom always said he was a "kid magnet".  They had so many children call them Nanny and Poppy or Uncle and Aunt...and they weren't related to them at all.

Dad always had a joke or funny story to tell.  He had a great sense of humor and probably needed it, especially when dealing with the family he married into.

Dad became our Dad, after our Father was killed in a tragic accident.  I was 4 when they married and I can say that never in my whole life did I ever feel like a "step" child.  He was our Dad,  he loved us, cared for us and treated us with respect and a dose of humor.  It couldn't have been easy. But it was so appreciated.

In September of this year, we lost our wonderful Dad.  I miss him more that I can say.  Going home after his death and not seeing him in his chair was one of the hardest things I have ever dealt with.  Not hearing his voice on the phone when I call is so strange, I have to stop myself from asking my Mom how he is.  Most days I try not to think of the loss, it hurts too much.  All the things that I wanted to say, but didn't get the chance.  He didn't want a funeral or a lot of fuss.  Just like Dad, uncomplicated and easy going.  I know that one day I will be able to look back and not cry, today is just not that day.  I am so proud to have been his Daughter, to have been able to share part of his life and know that I was loved by such a special man.  Love you Dad, always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment